Thursday, June 3, 2010

First post - Hello world!

In an effort to keep up to date with what is really my core skill, Java Enterprise Development, I've decided to teach myself Spring. I've read Spring in Action by Craig Walls, and found it to be a great introduction to many of the Spring topics, and very readable.

I've also done a tutorial on Hibernate at http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/core/3.3/reference/en/html/tutorial.html#tutorial-webapp-deploy. This one contained a *lot* of bugs, but I managed to get through them all - with a little help from my internet denizens who had suffered the slings and arrows if this same tutorial before.

It was also fun to use Maven, which is clearly more awesome and cool than ant.

A bit about me - I've been programming for many years, going back to Cobol and mainframes. Over the years I've learned a *bunch* of languages and done a *bunch* projects. I have Sun Certified Programmer, Developer, and Architect certifications. At the time I got the Architect Certification, EJB 2.0 was the big deal. However, I modeled the front end on Apache Struts, so I have a pretty good idea about how Struts and MVC works.

Nowadays, clearly, Spring is king - thus my new blog. More posts to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment