Thursday, June 3, 2010

Up and running

I'm basing my lessons now on Gary Mak's Spring Recipes (the 2008 version). The reason I've decided to do my coding from this book is that, after checking Amazon reviews, it's clear that this book is very much oriented toward working code examples out of the box. After some of the horrific tutorials I've gone through in the past, this is a major, as in major, priority.

So, I've downloaded the code from the website, imported the project into eclipse, added the two recommended beans to the classpath, and voila - I got hello world to work on the first try. I had to update the compiler to Java 1.5, actually.

I won't duplicate what the book says. I'm into chapter 2, now, which includes setting up the spring plugin on eclipse. Eclpse 4 does things a bit differently, but I found a good site which lets you know how to do it in Eclipse 3.4:

http://java.dzone.com/news/springide-using-spring-eclipse.

Nope, doesn't work. I get a message about repository not available.

http://springide.org/updatesite gets a 404 when I enter it. Where is it, then?

Google spring ide. After some futzing around, lets try this:

http://dist.springframework.org/release/IDE

Ok, great - a lot of items show up.

A group install give some kind of error message.

Let's try installing just the core.

Well, there was an error message, but it did walk me through the install and ask to restart.

Core isn't checked, but it does have this string next to it: 2.3blahblah.release.

Let's try installing the extensions. That seemed to go ok. No error message, and a restart.

Good. They all have the 2.3.0.20091217blahblah.RELEASE.

Let's go for integrations - only optional, but there are only two.

That gets a cannot complete request.

Let's try the resources, then.

Good, it comes right up to the review and confirm display. Now the restart.

Ok, what's left?

Wow - nothing - they all have the 2.3.0.20091217blahblah.RELEASE marked next to them.

Maybe they are all installed, somehow.

Let's wrap it up and move onto the next post.


No comments:

Post a Comment